This cake is quite dry so I would recommend eating it alongside something else (like this berry ice cream). When I did it for the first time I based it on my carrot cake recipe where I used Vitafiber rather than protein powder. I think that protein powder takes a lot less time to cook than Vitafiber. The cake doesn’t taste very strong but I think that the light taste is quite nice. You could also change the type of seeds that you use, swap them for nuts or get rid of them completely.
- 100g oat bran
- 80g vanilla protein powder
- 20g chia seeds
- 80g grated apple (this is about 1 small royal gala apple)
- 2tsp baking powder
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (360 fahrenheit)
- Mix the oat bran, protein powder, chia seeds, apple and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil and the beaten eggs. Mix them into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and lined baking tin.
- I cooked it for 30 minutes but the result was quite dry. I would recommend that you cook yours for 10 minutes before checking it and seeing how long you think is necessary.
Nutrition (1/12 cake):
- Calories: 42
- Fat: 1.2g (Saturated Fat: 0.1g)
- Cholesterol: 13.6mg
- Protein: 5.6g
- Sodium: 87mg
- Carbohydrate: 3.5g (of which 0.8g is sugar)
- Fibre: 0.9g
- Net carbs (carbohydrate – fibre): 2.6g
Feedback on the recipe and article are appreciated. Thanks.