You don’t have to follow this recipe very rigidly, but following it exactly means that you should have a breakfast with more than 600mg of potassium, more than 15g of fibre and less than 400kcal. Some changes that you could make are:
- You could swap all of the oats for nuts for a low carb version.
- You could replace the rolled oats with more oat bran to add fibre.
- I would recommend also adding some fibre such as psyllium husk, konjac root (glucomannan) or vitafiber
- You don’t have to use strawberries, you can use any type of berries
- Or try this recipe Raspberry Protein Porridge
- 30g vanilla protein powder
- 1tsp cacao powder
- 20g oat bran
- 20g rolled/steel cut oats
- 10g mixed nuts (I use a mix of almonds, cashews, pistachios, brazil nuts, walnuts and hazelnuts)
- 2tsp seeds (Chia, Pumpkin, Hemp, Flax and Linseeds are good)
- 100g strawberries
- The juice of half an orange (40ml orange juice)
- 50ml milk
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and leave in the fridge overnight for best results.
It tastes better than it looks.
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 11.7g (Saturated Fat: 4g)
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Protein: 26.3g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Carbohydrate: 49.2g (of which 11.0g is sugar)
- Fibre: 15.6g
- Net carbs (carbohydrate – fibre): 33.6g